On January 5, 1917 the new Palace Bridge across the Neva river was opened for traffic
The bridge was projected by an engineer Andjey Pshenitsky. The government had been discussing the plans for building a bridge across the Neva near the Winter Palace as early as in the third decade of XIX century, and the bridge was floating at first. Then by popular demand a project for a fixed bridge was made, but the building had to be postponed due to the Russo-Japanese War and its consequences. By the day of the opening the bridge had not been finished thoroughly: the railings stayed wooden till 1939.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Dvortsovy most