On March 4, 1726 the first gymnasium opened in St. Petersburg's Academy of Sciences
The so-called Academic gymnasium became the first national non-clerical secondary school in Russia. The gymnasium worked till 1805. Initially is was established as a pre-university school for the Academic University. Among the subjects were Latin, Greek, German and French, language arts, history, geography, maths, natural sciences and drawing. In 1758—65 the school was managed by Michail Lomonosov.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya nab., 5