On May 5, 1764 Catherine II decreed the founding of Smolny Institute for Noble Girls
The institute was housed in the Smolny Convent founded by Empress Elizabeth. It became the first educational institution for women in Russia and laid the foundation for female education in the country. The schoolgirls entered the institusion at the age of 6 and graduated at the age of 18. The program included Russian language arts, geography, arithmetic, history, music, dancing, drawing, etiquette and housekeeping.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Smolny St., 1