On April 9, 1714 Peter the Great restricted the construction of stone buildings in all of Russia outside of St Petersburg
This order made all the stonemasons of Russia gather in the new Saint Petersburg. In addition Peter the Great decreed a stone tax, by which all the new arrivals in the city were obliged to bring a certain quantity of stone or pay a special tax. Peasants from all neighborhoods arrived to build the city.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Petrovskay emb., 6