Lutheran Church of St. Anne (Annenkirche)


The church was hit hard by the fire in the early 21st century

The plot of houses 7 and 9 on Furshtatskaya Street originally belonged to the Lutheran Church of St. Anne. The church, founded in 1704 on the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress, moved here in 1720-1722. In May 1735, construction of a half-timbered church on a stone foundation began here. The author of his project was the architect of the Ober-Police Chancellery P. M. Eropkin. On January 3, 1736, a school was opened at the church. The church of St. Anne herself was built for 11 years. Its consecration took place only in October 1746. It was octagonal in plan, upholstered with boards outside, painted yellow and decorated with half columns and white platbands.

In 1775-1779, a new stone building of the Lutheran Church of St. Anne was built according to the project of Y. M. Felten. This church (Annenkirche) was one of the most visited in the city. Modern Kirochnaya street was named after this "church."

In 1867-1868 and in 1906, the church built the buildings for the Annenshule school, one of the most prestigious schools in St. Petersburg.

The church operated until 1936. In 1939, the building was rebuilt according to the design of A. I. Gegello and L. S. Cosven, the Spartak cinema was opened here.

Church services at St. Anne's Church resumed in 1992. They were held only on Sundays. On the remaining days, the cinema continued to operate, and discos were held in the altar section. On December 6, 2002, a severe fire broke out in the Annenkirche building. The roof collapsed, the auditorium burned out almost completely, the dome was damaged. The building was in dilapidated condition for several years. In 2010, restoration of the facades was carried out. Damaged and scorched interiors still need to be restored. However, it is the current appearance of the church that attracts contemporary artists and musicians. It hosts weekly exhibitions, concerts and film screenings. 

St. Anne's Church is run by the Missionary Department of the Central Religious Organization The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ingria in Russia. 

Furshtatskaya Street

The route will get you acquanted with the history of the street development, the life of its buildings and their inhabitants

1 h
  • Address: St. Petersburg, Kirochnaya ul., 8B / Furshtatskaya ul., 7
  • Phone Number: +7 (905) 277-17-79
  • Site:
  • Email:
  • Additional: Deacon Evgeny Raskatov - Trustee of Annenkirche, Head of the Mission Department of the Church of Ingria, Clergyman of the Church of Ingria.                                                             Phone Number: +7 (962) 706-11-11                                               Email: Pastor Alexander Kudryavtsev - head of the property department, clergyman of the Church of Ingria.                                               Phone Number: +7 (911) 219-92-54 Email:               (Contact for restoration)
  • Working time:
    Monday - ТВ: Free
    Wednesday - Sunday: 12:00 - 20:00
    Divine services are held on Wednesdays at 19:00 in Russian On Sundays at 9:30 - Mass in English, at 11:00 - Mass in Russian
To leave a review you need to authorize first
Administrator of
Show more