In the 18th century the columns fulfiled the role of lighthouses
The first two rostrum columns, Chesmenskaya and Moreiskaya, were built in the 1770s at Tsarskoe Selo (near Pushkin) in memory of the victories of the Russian fleet (see Russian Naval Memorials). In St. Petersburg there are two rostral columns erected from granite and pudost stone in 1805-10 (architect Jean-Francois Thomas de Thomon) on the spit of Vasilyevsky Island (see also Stock Market Square). From the very start they served as beacons for the trading port. Inside the rostral columns are spiral staircases, leading to the squares are chalice shaped lamps on tripods (since 1957 the gas beacons of the columns have been lit for celebrations). At the pedestal of the columns are sculptures (the craftsman S. Sukhanov, the sculptors J. Camberlain and J. Thibaud), they are traditionally considered allegories for the Volga and Dnepr rivers (the northern column), the Neva and Volkhov (the southern column). In 1999-2000, they were restored.
1,5 h romantic night excursion under drawbridges
Night walk along the rivers and canals of the city along the route Fontanka - the river Neva - r. Fontanka. During the walk, passengers will be able to see the layout of the two bridges and enjoy unforgettable views of the night Petersburg. The route is accompanied by an audio tour.
• the most effective way to get to the autumn Fountain Festival in the Peterhof
• just 40 minutes in transit
• the fastest way to go to the park from the Lower Park site, where you are not expecting those huge lines waiting for those who come in from the Upper Park
Unforgettable festival fireworks on the Victory Day from the board of a comfortable double-deck motor ship. Departure from the Palace pier and at the Senate Marina.
An eventfull trip to Kronstadt from the centre of St. Petersburg on a hight-speed boat. The ticket price includes a round-trip transfer, an excursion to the Naval Cathedral of St. Nicholas with the ascent to the dome, a walk in the surroundings and a monastic lunch.
- night walking tour of the Peter and Paul Fortress
- boat trip from the Neva Gate of the fortress under drawbridges
- you will see the breeding of 2 bridges
- professional guide
- Address: St. Petersburg, Vasilievsky Ostrov, Birzhevaya Ploschad