Graceful white-stone church called the "White Bride"
Church of Our Lady of Kazan is a functional Orthodox church in Zelenogorsk town, an architectural monument of federal significance.
The first Orthodox church in the name of the Our Lady of Kazan Icon was built in 1880. But in 1907, it burned down. In 1910, the laying of a new stone church was completed, designed by architect Nikolai Nikitich Nikonov. A multi-domed church with a high bell-tower (49 meters with a cross) in the Moscow-Yaroslavl style, with the difference that the multi-colored painting has been eliminated, and the whole building of the church is plastered outside and painted in the only white color. By the project the interior part of the church was supposed to be painted, but the First World War began, and these plans failed to materialize.
The church was completed in 1915 while the town was a part of the Grand Duchy of Finland. It was the consecrated by the Archbishop of Finland, Sergius (Stragorodsky).
In the period from 1918 to 1939, the temple belonged to the Orthodox Autonomous Church in Finland, first as part of the Russian Orthodox Church, and from 1923 - the Patriarchate of Constantinople. In 1939, after the outbreak of the Soviet-Finnish War, the church was closed, and during the Great Patriotic War it was severely hit by artillery attacks. Until the end of the 80s, the building was used for household needs as a food warehouse. By the 1980 Olympics, it was decided to redecorate the building. The restoration was carried out under the direction of the architect K.A. Kochergin. The bell-tower was restored, the facade was whitewashed. The warehouse was moved to another place. It was planned to use the building "for cultural purposes", was also supposed to arrange the Museum of the History of the Karelian Isthmus. By the decision of the Executive Committee of the Leningrad City Council of June 5, 1989, the church was rendered to the Parish community.
After restoration in 1990, the church was consecrated by the Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow.
The capacity of the temple according to the architect’s plan is 800 people, in fact it can accommodate up to 1,500 people. It is surrounded by pine trees and spruces and from the upper floors of Zelenogorsk high buildings looks like a white swan floating on the waters of the bay.
Icons in the iconostasis were written by the talented Petersburg artist Viktor Bobrov: the main throne in honor of the Our Lady of Kazan Icon, the northern side-chapel in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, the southern side-chapel in the name of St. Sergius of Radonezh.
By the centenary of the church, the multi-tiered iconostasis of polished white marble was restored according to the original design. The rows of columns adorning the iconostasis were made of malachite, lapis lazuli and rhodonite.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Zelenogorsk, Primorskoe shosse, 547
- Phone Number: +7 (812) 433-80-06; +7 (812) 433-80-15
- Site: www.zelenogorsk-spb.cerkov.ru
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday - Sunday: 09:30 - 18:00
The Divine Liturgy — Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays at 10:00 Confession — at 9:30 before the liturgy Evening service — on Saturdays and on the holidays eve at 17:00