It is the first Orthodox Convent in St. Petersburg
The Kazan church was built by the architect Vasily Antonovich Kosyakov. Its grandeur resembles the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople. V. A. Kosyakov tried to create a church that would reflect the centuries-old history of Christianity, combining the Byzantine and Russian cultures.
The construction took three years and was completed in 1910. The walls of the church were faced with dark green marble, and the painting was made in the Old Russian style using the motifs of the frescoes of the Saint Therapontus Monastery. Due to the deterioration of the economic situation at the beginning of the First World War, the church remained closed and unconsecrated.
After most of the conventual buildings were transferred to the Institute of electrical engineering in the 1960s, the Church of Our Lady of Kazan was used as a mechanical workshop for several decades. In 1992, the premises of the Kazan church were transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church. The first liturgy was celebrated on 15 March, on the day of the Feast of Orthodoxy.
The five-domed Kazan church is faced with light bricks. The drums of the domes are decorated with ornaments and majolica. The sculptural decoration of the facades and interior decor of the temple contains: symbolic drawings of the Evangelists, an ornament with a grape-vine and palm branches, drawings of birds in the form of a dove, peacocks and pheasants. The church is decorated with three carved wooden gilded iconostases. The Kazan church has three chapels: the central one - in the name of the Our Lady of Kazan, the left chapel - in the name of the Icon of the Mother of God, and the right chapel – in the name of St. Seraphim of Sarov.