Fountains of the Moskovskaya Square
One of the newest fountain complexes in St. Petersburg, built and launched to the «G8» summit in july 2006. The Fountains of the Moskovskaya Square represent a rare example of beauty and scale. They consists of 11 fountains operating in two modes: static and light organ.
During the colour music performance the water jets «dance» to the music pieces by authors from St. Petersburg Andrew Petrov and Vasiliy Solovyov-Sedoi. You may also hear pieces by Paul Mauriat, popular tunes from 1960’s, waltzes and marches.
You may enjoy the view of the working fountain every day from 10.00 am до 11:00 pm. The shows are held at 12.00 am, 09.40 pm on weekdays and at 12.00 am, 08.00 pm, 09.00 pm and 09.40 pm on weekends and holidays.
Drinking fountain of the Voronikhinsky Garden
The drinking fountain that is located from the western-side of the Kazan Cathedral and the Kazanskaya street was created by the french architect Jean-François Thomas de Thomon in 1809. Initially it was located on the 13’th mile on the way to Tzarskoye Selo, but in 1935 it was relocated to its current place.
The fountain represents an austere classical four-angled construction of granite. The lower part of the fountain has got a shape of a bowl, filled with water, and the upper part of it represents a blank arch with the bas-relief, depicting Neptune, with water jets shooting out from his mouth and the date "Year 1809" embossed in stone in semi-circle.
Jean-François Thomas de Thomon has designed and built two other similar-looking fountains, that served not only as a decoration of the lond road from St. Petersburg to Tsarskoe Selo, but also as a drinking trough for the tired horses. Two other similar fountains are located on the Sennaya Square and near the Pulkovo Heights, at the turn to the Tsarskoye Selo.
Today the drinking fountain near the Kazan Cathedral have lost its original practical purpose, remaining only as an architectural decoration. Together with the previous fountain on our list, it is the first one to be launched in April, in the beginning of the fountain season and the last one to be turned down in October.
Fountains at the Park of the 300 anniversary of St. Petersburg
The beautiful fountain in the youngest park of our city.
The central objects of the Park of the 300 anniversary of St. Petersburg are the pond and the fountains, as well as the granite column 22 meter in height, depicting a lighthouse. The central alley of the park, paven in walkway slabs, leads from the main entrance to the fountain complex.
Во многом благодаря фонтану, the 300 anniversary of St. Petersburg is one of the most favourite places for summer walks among the citizens. On hot days children like to splash in the fountain, meanwhile their parents are enjoying the cool, coming from streaming water and tiny splashes.
Fountain, dedicated to the 60 anniversary of the Victory» at the Uzhno-Primorsky park
The original fountain was constructed in 1970’s. In 2004 the government of St. Petersburg has decided to arrange a new fountain here. It was opened on may 28, 2005 - the year when the whole country celebrated the 60’th anniversary of the Victory of Russia in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945.
The fountain of the Uzhno-Primorsky park is equipped with illumination in colours of the Russian flag. At night-time it looks very beautiful and attracts visitors. In 2005 the inscription on the monument at the entrance «100 years of Vladimir Lenin» was replaced by «60 years of the Victory», at the same time the decayed fountain was restored.
The fountain was installed in the place where the defence line of Leningrad was laid and gory battles for the besieged Leningrad were going on, that were to clear our city from nazi invaiders. The Great Victory themed decorations were used in the design of the fountain.
The rectangular-shaped basin was constructed to the size of the original one that used to be here in the 20’th century. Water rises to the fountain with the help of 250 special jet nozzles. When rising, part of the jets form a solid water wall.
The «Peace for the Children» singing fountain
The «Peace for the Children» fountain was opened in September 2015 on the square in front of the «Grand Canyon» during the celebration of the International Day of Peace.
The fountain complex represents a sculptural composition that depicts children of different nationalities, that spin together in a roundelay. Thanks to the masterfully implemented, everyone can become a member of the dance. The water jets «dance» together with the children to the popular children songs from all over the world. The fountain is a unique architectural project, symbolizing friendship of children from all over the world.
The «Peace for the Children» music fountain is a part of the unified architectural composition along with the monument to Dmitri Shostakovich and the «Seasons» sculptural fountain that also has got music background. The composition is surrounded by a bronze pavement with the word «Peace» engraved on every element of it in different languages of the world.
«Rotating ball» cascade fountain
The «Rotating ball» cascade fountain at the Malaya Sadovaya street represents a sleek, glossy granite ball, rotating because of the pressure of water. In winter, when the water in the fountains is turned down, the polished ball is replaced by its more rough «twin brother».
There are 12 granite steps with bronze numbers on each of them, indicating the time of day. Every hour the direction of the water jets changes and the water falls onto the next step, symbolizing the flow of time.
The inspiration for the creators of the «Rotating ball» fountain, installed in 2000 on the Malaya Sadovaya street became the similar construction made of copper that appeared in Peterhof during the reign of Catherine II.
In spite of its seeming simplicity, the fountain has got quite a complicated structural solution. The water jets, streaming from the nozzles under high pressure, support the granite ball.
According to the urban legends, the fountain can make your wishes come true. For this you will have to turn your back to the basin of the fountain and throw a coin through your right shoulder to the steps then see the number engraved on that step. The number will tell you how much times you will have to rotate the ball to make your wish come true.
The «Dancing Fountain» at the Alexandrovsky Garden
The fountain is located near the building of the Admiralty. It was built here in 1879 at the same time with the construction of the Alexandrovsky Garden. The fountain got its name due to the ability to change the height of its water jets, depending on the rhythm of the music playing in the garden.Before the year 2000 the fountain was considered the largest in our city.
During the reign of Alexander II, when the new garden was being set up, the architects planned to install three large fountain basins. But due to the high price and complexity of the necessary hydraulic works it was decided to create only one fountain.
The initial plan of the architect Ivan Mertz, developed in 1872 was declined, because the 18-meter high sculptural group, suggested by him would have blocked the view of the Admiralty and was considered too expensive. In several years the architect Nicholas Benois developed another project, that was finished later by Alexander Daniel Geschwendt. The new project was approved in 1876.
Until 2000 the round-shaped granit basin 24,6 meter in diameter, that rests on the underground adits was considered the largest in the city. The bottom and the sides of the fountain are made of grey granite, brought from the quarries of the Hare Island.
The central water jet, surrounded by a ring made of limestone can raise up to 17 meters. It is surrounded by 8 pipes. Thin jets, that look like silver strings rush out of them at the viewers. 40 other jets that dance endlessly by the walls of the basin make the fountain look especially charming.
The «Four Seasons» Fountain
The fountain belongs to the few so-called «singing fountains» of our city. The composition represents a sculptural group, consisting of 4 nymphs, impersonating the seasons of the year.They hold music instruments in their hands. In the centre, between the sculptures the water jets are playing to the rhythm of classical music pieces.
There is no traditional basin in the construction of the fountain. Here you may see the so-called «dry» fountain. Its basin is located below the ground-level and all the water supply pipelines are enclosed in very solid bars. Everyone can have a chance not just to enjoy the view of water jets, but to walk under them without the risk of getting wet.
In the centre of the fountain there is a girandole, consisting of one main and 11 extra water jets, placed in a circle. In general. The entire composition is far from being symmetrical. The customized repertoire, consisting of classical pieces, played by symphonic orchestra, creates a unique atmosphere of lightness and earnestness of the moment. A special place in the repertoire of the «Seasons» fountain belongs to the piece by Antonio Vivaldi of the same name.
This fountain is especially loved by children. On hot days they enjoy running under the cool water jets.
The Fountain at the Kazan Cathedral
One of the most well-known fountains of our city was constructed between 1899 and 1900 in the garden in front of the main cathedral of St. Petersburg - the Kazan Cathedral and became an inseparable part of the architectural ensemble of Nevsky Prospekt, creating a unique look of the Northern capital of Russia. The garden and the fountain were created by the landscape designers Rudolf Katzer and Peter Vise.
During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 the fountain in front of the Kazan Cathedral was the first to be restored after the lifting of the Siege of Leningrad. Traditionally the fountain in front of the Kazan Cathedral, along with the nearby drinking fountain in the Voronichinsky Garden are the first to be launched in the beginning of the season of fountains in April and on the contrary, are the last to be turned down in the end of of he season in October.