The Summer Garden is Peter the I favourite creation and one of the treasures among the parks and gardens of Saint-Petersburg. It was founded in 1704 near the wooden imperial summer residence (1703) on the bank of the Neva River. To decorate the Summer Garden Peter the Great commissioned marble busts and statues from Italy. This purchase laid the foundation of the collection of sculpture of European level.
Екатеринго́ф (German: Katharinenhof "Catherine's Court") — is a historic regular park that began as an 18 century empresse’s estate in the south-west of St Petersburg, when a two-storey wooden palace was built at the outflow of the Ekateringofka River.
Yusupov Garden was laid out in the 1790s on the territory of the estate of Prince B. G. Yusupov on the section between the Fontanka River and Sadovaya Street. Today it is pretty much the only piece of greenery in that area.
In the walking distance from the estate there is the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and thematic museums, which are a must-see for each curious guest of Saint-Petersburg. The best way to get here is by public transport. The nearest subway stations are «Sadovaya», «Sennaya Ploshchad» and «Spasskaya».
Park of the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg
The park of the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg is located on the bank of the Gulf of Finland in the North-West of the city. Today the citizens come here to play volleyball, do skating, cycling and kite-surfing (in case of fair wind), there are some children playgrounds and skateparks. The biggest indoor waterpark in Russia called Piterland is located next to the park.
The park is a venue for mass celebrations and other public events like Maslenitsa (Pancake week), Victory Day and so on. Important sports events and competitions also take place in the park.
Since recently unlimited free WI-FI connection is available for guests of the park. The connection speed is 1 Mb/s.
Yelagin Island is a unique natural site in St. Petersburg that received protected natural area status in 2012.
The palace and garden complex on Yelagin Island was created by an outstanding architect Carlo Rossi in 1818-1822 and became one of the treasures of european architecture. For 100 years the island was owned by the Romanovs and was the favourite leisure area for the imperial family. Since 1932 it has become state property and opened its doors to the public.
Today Yelagin Island is a rapidly developing cultural and recreational site, suitable for people of all ages and interests.
Since 1987 Yelagin Palace has housed a collection of objets d'art from the 18th and 19th centuries, notably precious glassware. The palace is also home to the Museum of Russian Decorative and Applied Arts of XVIII-XX centuries. The entrance is guarded by two lion sculptures, inspired by the Medici lions in Florence.
Central Park is a venue for many annual celebrations, exhibitions and music open airs that have long become hallmarks of our city. The most famous of them are:
- Traditional «Pancake Week Rush» (Shumi, Maslenitsa) festival (weekend of the Pankake Week);
- St. Petersburg Tulip Festival (mid-may).
Today Yelagin Island is greatly admired by citizens and guests of St. Petersburg who enjoy long walks and like to feed local squirrels. One may rent skates and bikes as well as a rowboat or a paddle-boat to float a chain of ponds. One may rent skates and bikes as well as a rowboat or a paddle-boat to float a chain of ponds. In the wintertime one may enjoy ice-skating or rent a kicksled. The park takes pride in its mini-zoo with a reindeer, a Cameroon dwarf goat, a Siberian chipmunk and various birds.
Moskovsky Victory Park
Moskovsky Victory Park is one of the largest parks on the territory of St. Petersburg. Its total area is about 172 acres. The park was founded on October 7, 1945 in honor of the victory in the Great Patriotic War in Moscow district of St. Petersburg. On that day thousands of people came here to witness this special event.
Many years have passed since the first trees were planted here, and now a green fence stretches for 800 meters along the Moskovsky Prospekt. At the main entrance of the park there are two propylaea-like buildings. Their inner walls are decorated with six bronze bas-reliefs, depicting heroic deeds of Soviet people during the war. The central alley of the park brings us to the glorious «Wreath of Glory» fountain.
Фото с сайта 2ГИС