The House of Radio
St. Petersburg, Malaya Sadovaya Street, 2/27
The house was built in 1912-1914 for the Noble Assembly.
Since 1932 the building has been housing the main broadcasting centre of Leningrad radio. In the days of the Siege of Leningrad the transmission did not stop for a single day and the radio remained the main source of information, announcing the news from the front and air-raid warnings. O.Bergholz, A.Akhmatova, V.Vishnevsky, N.Tikhonov and M.Petrova were among those who had been on air during those times. D.Shostakovich Symphony No. 7 (“Leningrad Symphony”) premiere took place at the Philharmonia Grand hall and was broad casted to every house of the besieged city.
In 2004-2012 the 5th channel “Open studio” - a talk show concerning political and social issues was broadcasting from the ground-floor of the house. The studio was located inside a glass pavilion open from the street side.
Numerous choirs, orchestras and radio plays were recorded in the premises of the House of Radio. After the 300th anniversary of St.Petersburg the building’s halls were reconstructed according to the modern standards. Today not only orchestras, but also the sounds of clicking heels are recorded here.
If one takes a look at the corner of Malaya Morskaya st. and Nevsky prospect a loudspeaker can be seen, set up here to commemorate the work of Leningrad radio in the besieged city.