The Kazansky Bridge spans the Griboyedov Kanal on Nevsky Prospekt and connects two islands – Kazansky and Spassky islands
Since 1716, there was a wooden bridge across the Krivushna River (now known as the Griboyedov Canal). In 1737 the bridge received the name Rozhdestvensky, after the Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The same name was given to a new stone bridge built in 1766.
In 1766 the old bridge was replaced with a new single-arched stone bridge. Golenishchev-Kutuzov, a father of the great and renowned commandant Kutuzov was in charge of construction works; the engineer project was developed by Nazimov. Due to construction works of Kazan Cathedral, the bridge was re-erected in 1805-06, presumably by the architect Rusca – the bridge has become wider and smoother. Cast-iron parapet of a bridge was replaced with the granite one. In 1934 the bridge was reinforced with concrete. The recent reconstruction works were conducted in 1999-2003.
The bridge is only 17.5 meters long, but, at 95 meters, one of St. Petersburg's widest, after the Blue Bridge and the Aptekarsky Bridge. After all, it is considered one of the lowest bridges in the city, so sailing underneath is strictly prohibited.
The Kazansky Bridge is recognized as an object of cultural heritage of the federal significance in Russia.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Kazansky Bridge
- Site: https://mostotrest-spb.ru/bridges/kazanskij