Today the palace houses a branch of the Sate Museum of the History of St. Petersburg
The construction of the first stone building in the place of the palace is dated back to 1740-s. In that period this site was owned by Princes Golitsyns, the representatives of one of the noblest and the most ramified families.
In 1770-s the mansion was reconstructed under the project of architect J.B. Vallin de la Mothe. In the period of that reconstruction the house obtained its outer architectural proportions of today on the side facing the English Embankment – a 3-storeyed and 11-axised mansion. Soon after the reconstruction Golitsyn sold the building as he had finally moved to Moscow.
In 1802 the mansion on the English Embankment is purchased by Count Nikolay Petrovich Rumyantsev (1754 – 1826). N.P. Rumyantsev belong to an old noble family. His grandfather Alexander Ivanovich Rumyantsev (1680 – 1749) participated actively in the political life of Russia in the first decades of XVIII century. Later the Rumyantsev family became famous for military commander Pyotr Alexandrovich Rumyantsev-Zadunaisky’s victories (1725 – 1796).
The tradition of the exploits to the glory of the motherland was continued by the great commander’s sons who lived in the Catherinian Era – Nikolay and Sergey Rumyantsevs.
In 1824 N.P. Rumyantsev invites young architect newly come from a journey across Western Europe V.A. Glinka to work at the project of the mansion reconstruction. Before the architect there was a quite difficult task of creating a new and immediately-attractive façade without changing the cubage proportions practically. V.A. Glinka performed the task excellently by covering the building with a bold, much forward-based and 12-columned portico.
In 1826 N.P. Rumyantsev died verbally committing his younger brother, Sergey Petrovich, to hand the house on the Angliskaya Embankment and all the collections inside of that over to a museum.
On the 28th of May 1831 the museum opened which was announced in newspapers. Undoubtedly, it was the most important event in the scientific and cultural life of Saint Petersburg.
In 1861, after the finding by the specialist and architect commission that the “houses of the Museum” the Rumyantsev Museum moved to Moscow, to the Pashkov's House. A lot of the exhibits of the museum were added to the collection of the National Library of Russia. Later on the mansion changed its proprietors.
In 1938 the Rumyantsev mansion was handed over to the History and Development of Leningrad Museum which, however, was given this name as late as in 1953 and opened as late as in 1955, after World War II. For the needs of the museum the building was much reconstructed. One of the departments of this museum, the today’s State Museum of the History of St. Petersburg, functions here even now. The restoration of 2003 gave the great halls of the palace the interiors they had in 1880-s.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Angliyskaya nab., 44
- Phone Number: +7 (812) 571–75–44
- Site: www.spbmuseum.ru
Monday - ТВ: 11:00 - 18:00
Thursday - Sunday: 11:00 - 18:00